Tuesday, January 20, 2015

5 day art challenge

Over on facebook, one of my facebook friends, Lisa from Prim Chick designs, nominated me to post 3 photos of my paintings for 5 days.

I thought it might be fun to post them here as well. If you are friends with me on facebook, I'm sorry this will be a double post for the next 5 days!

For the 1st days theme, I chose prim style, which happens to be my favorite style to paint in. I live in New England so these designs all reflect the New England style.

I find most, if not all of my surfaces from thrift stores or yard sales. Our town dump has a "freebie" shed that if you have something that is in good condition, you can put it in there for anyone to take for free. Most of it truly is junk, but once in a while I can find some good things! (like ice skates!!!!)

Up first

This was a plain wooden box I found at goodwill. I painted this Salt box house scene and did a chippy paint technique to it. I added a small iron star drawer pull to the front for decoration, we added legs to it and now it's a small table. I use it to hold my candle melts and tea light candles in.

Next I found this very large wooden pineapple bowl at the goodwill. I painted this prim scene inside of it.

I then found this unusual(to me) whale at the goodwill. I had no idea what is was or why it was flat on one side and why there was a hole in it. I'm sure most of you can figure out what it was originally used for. I don't drink so I had no clue it was used to hold a wine bottle!

I did a chippy paint technique and added a tea light candle to the hole.

And lastly, I have NEVER in all my trips to the goodwill/thrift store found whale shaped wooden bowls before, or since for that matter! These small wooden whale bowls were the perfect shape for some Donna Atkins designs. A Mermaid looks out over the ocean and a whale swims by a small New England town.

I added one more extra photo. I orignally saw this ugly dark brown spoon holder at a small thrift store and I LEFT it there! It haunted me all weekend to the point where I had to go first thing Monday morning and hope they still had it. Well, they did and I bought it. It was straight from the 1970's with it's dark depressing wood color, and as an extra bonus, still had dust and cobwebs in it!

I took it home and cleaned it up and turned it into this candle/spoon holder. There is a little pocket at the front, which held the candle nicely. I painted the spoons to match with the scene. Moral of the story, don't leave anything at the thrift store!!! If you see it, get it then and there!

I hope you enjoyed today's post, see you tomorrow with day 2!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Colleen! They were fun to paint. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Feel free to leave a comment!