Monday, March 12, 2012

Busy weekend!

Saturday we got some new additions to the family. 12 baby chicks!

I got 6 buff Orpingtons, and 6 Araucanas.They are a week old. Buff Orpington chickens are so sweet and gentle they are a perfect addition to any flock. When they are adults they are a beautiful golden color.

I've named three of them, buttercup, daisy and sunny(for sunflower), can you think of any other yellow type flowers? Once they grow up I won't be able to tell the difference, but it's still fun to give them names.
The araucans have names too, we have one with a really red head, so her name is Lucy and her best friend is Ethel, we have one that has a stripe from the top of her head down her back to her tail, my son named her stripe, and we have little lucky girl. Just need to think up 2 more names. They are so different in appearance we might be able to tell who is who once they grow up.
The Araucanas are a special chicken. They lay eggs in shades of Olive green to blue and a rare pink! In my original flock now, I have only 1 Araucana left and she lays blue eggs. They are so pretty, like a robin's egg blue. Here's a picture of her eggs.



Now meet Lucky. Lucky has a deformity called scissor beak, We didn't notice her beak until we got home. I decided to name her Lucky, because she's very lucky we got her and not someone else. You see, when a chick is born with this deformity, they are usually killed because it's an inherited gene. Usually these types of chickens have a hard time eating and drinking, but Lucky is different! She's the biggest chick out of the group and I've watched her, she's able to eat and drink, it might take her a little longer, but she's doing it. I've tried hand feeding her with wet food, but she doesn't seem to like it as much as the regular chick mash. I don't know what the future holds as she grows, but she's made it this far, and I plan to keep her and give her a good life in the hen house! She doesn't appear to be in any pain which is good. Plus she so darn cute with her little crooked beak!



See my feathers coming in!

Nap Time

And in between getting baby chicks I decided to make cinnamon buns. I've never made them from scratch before. Oh my, they are so good, I will definitely be making these again!

Remember the wooden bunny shape I posted a few days ago? I'm working on it and will post the finished picture when I'm finished.
Have a good day everyone! Thanks for visiting with my new babies!

5 comments:

  1. Wow Beck, you were busy. I love looking at these chicks, I hope you post as they grow.
    I feel bad for the chick with the scissor beak but I know she is in good hands. You will love her and give her lots of attention. Those little feathers coming in, are darn cute too.
    How many chickens/chicks do you have now???
    Take care, Les
    PS can't wait to see that wood bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les, yes I will post pictures as they grow. They are alread so busy in their box. The yellow ones like to jump on top of their feeder and look all around, like look at me, I'm doing something big! They flap their wings and try to fly across to the other side. They are really fun to watch. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby chicks are so sweet! Aw, I am glad you got lucky too!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God those Cinnamon rolls look to die for I have not had a cinnamon bun in forever
    the babie chicks are so cute I want to just squeeze them gently of course

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are absolutely so cute!! Looks like you have your hands full. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Feel free to leave a comment!